Looking for a quick and easy go-to weeknight meal? Try this tasty mushroom and tofu stir-fry from EatingWell.
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil or canola oil, divided
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 1 (8 ounce) container baked tofu or smoked tofu, diced
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce or vegetarian oyster sauce (see Tip)
- Step 1: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large flat-bottom wok or cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in scallions, ginger and garlic; cook for 30 seconds more. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl.
- Step 2: Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and tofu to the pan. Cook, turning once, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the vegetables and oyster sauce. Cook, stirring, until hot, about 1 minute.
Sweet, salty oyster sauce is made from, well, oysters, along with salt, sugar and sometimes soy sauce. Substitute vegetarian oyster or stir-fry sauce, if desired, which uses mushrooms instead of oysters.